The city of Beregovo
is situated on the banks of a small river of Verke. At the foot of mountains which slopes
are planted with vineyards, it is known with its old traditions of grapes cultivation and
Well-known reformat writer
Papai Pariz Ferenc (1649-1716) in his book Dictionarium latino-hungarium
claims, that there had been a Roman settlement before arrival of Hungarians, called
Perigium. However there had been no success in scientific confirmation of such assumption.
It is authentically
known that after death of brother Bejla of Hungarian king Endre I, his landed properties
by the right of succession became a property of his sons- Heiza, Laszlo and Lampert. This
district had passed in possession of Lampert. In folklore it is spoken that a founder of a
settlement on the banks of Verke which had been later called after him Villa
Lamperti , that means The House of Lampert, was exactly him.
During many centuries
the Hungarian kings had been the owners of the settlement.
In 1141 after
numerous invadings of Polovci, king Geiza II had moved the Saxons into city, since that
the city had been called Szasz, Lampertszasz, Lumprehtszasz, Lamperthaz.
A widely known legend
says that the city had been founded much earlier. Due to this a famous
researcher-ethnographer Tivadar Legocki wrote As to a legend according to which a
young shepherd Szasz on the place of present roman-catholic church, in a hole dug by the
hoofs of fighting bulls, had found a treasure and had constructed on that place church,
and had built a city around it, which had been called later as Beregszasz, has no
Since 1504 the city
in documents mentioned as Beregszasz.
Since 1946, the
official name of the city is Beregovo. It is the only city of Transkarpathia where the
prevailing majority of population are Hungarians.
Beregovo is the city
of regional submission, is the center of Beregovskij area, it is located on the distance
of 72 kms. from the state center Uzhgorod. The territory of Beregovskij area is 802
sq. kms. population is 83,3 thousand people, 32 thousand from this number live in
Beregovo. Across the city flows a small channel of Verke, connecting the river Borzhava
Until 1944 the city
with some breaks had been the heart of Beregovskaja Zhupa.
As its been
already marked, the founder of Beregovo had been duke Lampert, the king brothers son
Endre I Bejla. Later adjoining landed properties became the properties of Arpad dynasty
kings and their sons. In 1247 king Bejla IV had given to the city status of the royal
city. Its prosperity had coincided with the period of reign of the king Liudvig the Great
and the queen Erzhebet. Later the adjoining lands had come in possession of Transilvania
Prince Gabor Betlen, who had the palace built in the city. Beregovo had an important role
in the emancipating anti-gabsburg war of Prince Ferenc Rakoci. The 22nd of May
of 1703, on the central square of Beregovo Tomas Esze had developed a banner of revolt.
Ference Rakoci in the city had given out in December 20 1705, the appeal to people to
The city had taken an
active part in the emancipating war of 1848-1849. After the Sen-Zhermen peace treaty, it
became a part of Czechoslovak republic.
In June 1945
Transkarpathia became a part of Ukraine.
In Beregovo there are
one Russian, two Ukrainian and three Hungarian high schools, one Ukrainian and one
Hungarian grammar schools, one professional and one medical schools. The Hungarian
pedagogical institute had recently been open. The D. Iljes professional Hungarian national
theater is also available, an amateur folk theater at the regional center of culture and
rest. An active participation in the cultural life of the city is taken by the school of
In the city there are
such kinds of industry as: wooden, furniture, instrument-making, sewing and others,
however in conditions of present difficult economical situation they are working far from
being their capacities fully loaded. Beregovo is known with its winemaking industry,
Transkarpathian branded wines are bottled in Beregovskaja wine factory.
Among the population
are very popular such public organizations like The regional organizations of the
Societies of Hungarians culture of Transkarpathia, Societies of Hungarians culture of
Beregovo, Prosvita and others.
In Beregovo are
constructed monuments of S.Petefi, L.Kosuth, G.Betlen and D.Iljes, are open memorial
boards of more than 42 public, historic men and men of art.